Thursday, December 28, 2006

Betta Stories


This is a funny story that I wanted to share:I have a single blue crowntail male betta named Indy in a 12-gallon tank with four mollies. I chose him to live in my community tank because he has a very mellow personality; he swims around and looks handsome, but he is never aggressive and almost never flares.His tank rests on my desk, and one day I was enjoying a snack of prunes while doing my homework. The box of prunes had a big picture of a prune on the front. I placed the box next to the tank when I was done and continued working.When I looked back over, Indy was in full bloom: flaring, dancing, and blowing bubbles--for the picture of the prune! He even chased the other fish away from it, staunchly defending his love from the marauding Mollies in his first everact of aggression.Needless to say, their forbidden love was not to last. Eventually I ran out of prunes and threw the box away, and poor Indy never did figure out why the prune failed to return his affection...but, you live and learn, as they say!Thanks for reading,--Rattify

This is just a really cute story that I think is a bit strange also (LOL):I have this beautiful female betta that my friend gave me for Christmas. Her name is Angel, because she acts like one.

Anyway, one day I was going back to my room to feed her. And as soon as I lowered two fingers to drop the fish food in, she jumped up and grabbed the food from me! I was so shocked that I stood there for a moment; Angel had never done anything like this before! Pretty soon I moved on and continued my business.

The next day I went back into my room again, but not to feed my fish. Instead I walked over to Angel's bowl and stuck two fingers over the top of her bowl. I wanted to see if she would jump again, WITHOUT me feeding her. To make a long story short: She did. Everyday after that, she did.

Nowadays I make her do that little trick before I feed her. It is quite funny to watch :)

Thank you for reading this,

-Lauren


Here is a very funny story about my betta that I wanted to share.I have one male betta called Charlie in a five gallon tank. He is my first ever betta and is a great friend. Anyway, about a week ago I considered putting some small fish in with Charlie as "friends". I have been told that plain-looking guppies make good tankmates for bettas so I found some and put one in to test this theory.Well, as soon as Charlie noticed the tiny fish, he began to chase it. Then the guppy hid under one of the two large, glass decorative stones in the tank. Suddenly, due to the curving glass, Mr. Guppy looks HUGE and at least six times it's size. Seeing the guppy hide under the rock, Charlie was over there in a flash, only to find the guppy's huge, gaping mouth staring back at him. I felt quite sorry for Charlie, he looked terrified! But my pity soon wore off when Mr. Guppycame out from behind the rock and became lunch. R.I.P Mr. Guppy...

Betta and the pea (splitting hair with your betta ;) )
My first male betta, whom i named Patrick, will eat almost anything. Once i got him to eat a 7+ year old gold fish flake (although he did spit it out, but then ate the falling crums), but that is another story :). One day when i was reading a feeding article on this website (go faith!), i read about feeding the insides of peas to bettas. So, the next time i fed my fish, i took a pea out of my freezer and warmed it up. Then taking the miniscule piece of pea and cutting it in half, i took it in the tweezers that i use to feed my fish and put it in Patrick's tank. Patrick came over and yanked it around until I let go of it, then he carried the now seemingly large pea piece with him and swam to the bottom. He must have sat there with that pea for at least ten minutes in his mouth, most likely not sure what to do with it. Once he lost interest in it i fished it out of the tank and cut it into another half. He did the same thing, only put in a little more effort to try to eat it. When he once again lost interest in it, i fished it out again and cut it into another half, and i was positive that it would easily fit into his mouth. Finally being able to put the pea completely into his mouth, he joyfully ate it.
Caitlyn


My first ever betta had a strange habit, a FAQ a while back reminded me. The FAQ was about betta noises, and you wisely concluded that the clicking heard by the asker was probably marbles shifting. I think this is a noble assesment because my betta did just that. Every time I cleaned out His Highness's tank (usually in the evenings) Otto would spend the entire night rearranging his marbles just the way he liked them. Otto lived in my room, and the first time this happened I jumped out of bed and turned on the lights to see what was going on. This fish was obsessive compulsive and would keep me up making loud 'clinking' noises. He always made sure his marbles were in his favorite arrangement to spread himself out on- just in time for his morning nap.

My name's Caryn and I'm 12 years old, I just wanted to share this amazingly shocking story to you. I just got an all red (and my 1st) Betta 4 weeks ago named Apollo. For a petstore Betta he's pretty smart. One day, when I came to feed Apollo I looked through his tank and I was shocked. He just finished constructing his own room out of a fake plant! 8-0 Apollo somehow wove the branches of the plantto make a little cave...(well, i shouldn't say cave, room sounds better!) ^_^ I was so proud of him! Unfortanutly, I was planning on getting rid of that disturbingly way-to-big plant for a few smaller, more comfortable ones. So I did! Apollo was pretty upset about losing his room and his work of art, but to my surprise, he made yet another construction site out of one of the smaller plants!!! 8-00 although his 2nd room wasn't as detailed and not as big, he still sleeps in it every night! (It's so amazing how you can learn from a Betta in only 4 weeks worth of time.)^_^
Thanks for reading Faith, it meant a lot to me!~Caryn and Apollo~

No comments: